Our final draft essay editing services focus on helping writers with strong ideas to convey their concepts more clearly and concisely for academic audiences, including individual professors, committees, and scholarly presses. We also work with clients globally on documents for presentation to government agencies and NGOs.
What Does Essay Editing Cover?
When you order our Final Draft Essay Editing service, we review your academic essay or article five separate times in five distinct phases of editing to ensure that we've edited every line, minute mistake, potentially awkward or colloquial phrase, syntax error, and more. In these five stages of editing your work, we'll cover all the following elements of style for you and return a final, publication-ready draft. As far as we know, we are the only editors to offer these five separate stages of review before we call your essay done. In fact, since 2002, we've found few editors willing to follow our exacting procedures:
- Grammar: In our first pass of essay editing, we correct subject-verb agreement, pronoun referents, run-on and fragmented sentences (i.e., sentence boundaries), weak or improper verb usage, and other fatal grammatical mistakes. In this stage, we correct for basic grammar before we move on to the next step: style and voice editing.
- Style & Voice: In our second pass over every essay or article our clients order, we edit for style and voice. Style and voice editing addresses tone, word choice, pronoun usage, sentence structure, and more. It also ensures that your writing conventions are consistent with your field's style guides (for example, numbers and statistical terminology are written differently in APA than MLA, and the correct use of italics varies across disciplines). "Voice," meanwhile, addresses the use of the passive voice when an active voice is better or required by your style guide. The overuse of active voice is common in academic writing that reports research results but most guides recommend that it be used sparingly.
- Proofreading: Once we've edited for grammar, style, and voice, we complete our essay editing with a final proofreading pass to ensure that the final details are covered: every last comma use error, extra space, unneeded carriage return, and stray period (the list could go on) is found and corrected.
- Citation Formatting (optional): Most of our clients include citation formatting with their essay editing order. With this added service, we check and revise your citations (footnotes or parenthetical references) and reference list. Like our other passes over your draft, this one requires a focus on details that most writers (even most editors) miss. Are the commas after the journal title in your APA reference list italicized? Are your DOIs full URLs? Are your Chicago footnotes citing previous authors correctly? We'll cover all these fine details.
- Layout Formatting (optional): Layout formatting requires using multiple Word functions (e.g., the styles pane, pagination, headers and footers, section and page breaks). With layout formatting added to your essay editing order, we format your paper per your style guidelines to ensure that the margins, page numbering, spacing, headers, Table of Contents/List of Tables, table and figure tags, and anything else they require are correct.
How Long Does it Take?
Essay editing can take as long as you'd like or be done in 24 hours, depending on your needs. We offer 72-, 48-, and 24-hour deadlines priced at $1/pg. increments. Some writers even order dissertation editing for a lower rate with a 2-week deadline (and order express dissertation editing for chapters and sections using these services).
To have us get started now, you can follow the owl badges below, or you might read on for a few more answers to frequently asked questions.
A few clients with close-to-finalized drafts may get the most value out of our essay proofreading services.
We will ensure, as we have since 2002, that the final draft you receive from us is completely ready to publish or turn in and will work with you until it's ready or refund your payment.
How Will You Send My Essay Back to Me?
When you order essay editing services from us, we'll edit for grammar, style, and voice (and format if you ask us to) directly in your document using Word's track changes function. Other than accepting these changes to remove them (or reviewing them individually if you prefer) and looking over some highlights if we've noted missing citation information (such as a date or page number), your edited essay will be ready to go. We don't make editorial suggestions that you have to address, and we don't leave comments in the margins that you have to review. When we see an error, we fix it for you. The edited files in our sample library show how Word's markup looks in a typical edited document. Once we've finished editing, we'll send your error-free draft to you by email. (In case you're not familiar with how Track Changes works, we'll send instructions for removing the markup in a couple of clicks).
What You'll Need to Order Essay Editing
To place an essay editing order with us, you'll need a Word version of the article or essay (or chapter or section) that you'd like us to edit, the total word count of (to enter into the order page), any instructions or guidelines that you'd like us to review (such as formatting guidelines or comments from a professor or advisor), and a credit card, PayPal, or ShopPay account to make a payment. Once you've placed your essay editing order, we'll take care of the rest and return your edited essay draft by the deadline you've selected (i.e., 72, 48, or 24 hours). In case you're unsure of how to find your exact word count in Microsoft Word (including any footnotes or endnotes that you'd like edited), you'll find the instructions as you order.
Can We Edit a Sample for You?
We can edit a short sample (a page or two) of an essay for free if the sample you send us has been edited by another service or a freelancer. We'll re-edit it to show everything that the other editor missed, which is the best way to compare offerings, like in this recent sample we requested from a part-time editor and re-edited to our standard. The editing samples in our library provide a sense of what our editing service covers and how it looks with track changes on.
Can You Contact Us?
If you have any questions about our services, you can reach us fairly quickly at our contact page. If you'd like to hear a human voice, you can leave a number and a time to call, but any details or questions about your order have to be in writing so that we can keep track of your requests. You can add comments related to your order in the comments field when you get to the shopping cart for your 72-, 48-, or 24-hour editing service. However you decide to reach out to us, we look forward to hearing from you!